Saturday, May 17, 2008

...as brave as you are.

I once had the opportunity to work with a young man with Autism. He struggled with change, and needed time to prepare for new routines. It was decided that this young man who had been prepped all summer by him mom to go to one room should move to my classroom.
We started with small steps. First, one out of eight classes. Then, three out of eight. He gave him a cubby in my room for him to move all of his stuff to my classroom. Then he started beginning and ending each day with us.
He wasn't very aware of other people or how his actions affected other people. We worked on helping him to be quite while all of the students, including himself, were working. One day, towards the end of the school year he was making enough noise to distract his classmates while they were suppose to be working. While I walked by his desk I reminded him that I needed him to be quite for at least 10 more minutes.
"But, Miss G. I am just trying to be as brave as you are."
Ah...


Do we ever realize how hard life can be some days.

No comments: