Saturday, October 18, 2008

"A good question..."

We have recently started a new semester at school. It was decided that I would teach a reading class. (For those who don't know I am certified for Special Ed and Reading K-12). I was have been pretty excited about teaching this class. Odd, I realize, I hate reading. It takes a lot of effort on my part. I also think have a low amount of hyper activity in mee that doesn't like to sit around that much.

back to the quote...It was the third day of class for this group. They were on time for class and go their full ten minutes of sustain silent reading. After that I gave them all a list of words relating to reading. Consonants, vowels, noun, verb, and vocabulary were included. I also included words like diphthong, digraph, phoneme, and grapheme.

The boys were to select a word they didn't know and find a definition for it. We then moved into a class discussion about the finer details  of English Phonics. They loved it, most of them were engaged. One young man who typically doesn't participated asked for additional info after class. When one of the kids asked if they could leave a little earlier another one commented on how interesting the class had been. I then told them I had covered all the information I had intended to and unless they had any questions they were good to go.

I need to come up with a good question so we can stay....

No comments: