Thursday, December 25, 2008

Generation Gap

My grandmother use to work in a restaurant. I believe as a short order cook. I know she can decorate cakes. She makes the best whole wheat bread and rolls ever. She makes delectable deviled eggs. She also makes sure we have a banana cream pie for official family gatherings.

Recently my sister asked her to make a couple of banana cream pies if she provided the ingredients. Among the things provided for the making of the pies were store bought graham cracker crusts. To most people born from the 1980s and later this might seem like a very logical method to making a cream pie.

My Grandmother has always made an incredible pie crust. If you have ever attempted a pie crust from scratch you know how difficult such a seemingly easy task it is. A pre-made graham cracker crust, however, was new territory for Grandmother. She called my mom and asked; "Do I need to bake it?"

So you know, you can coat it with egg whites and bake it to get a stiffer crust.

No comments: